Thursday, August 13, 2015

Poem (Writing Challenge ) - The Ocean

As I approach IB, I have been thinking a lot about the future. I've been thinking about IB, grades, university, family, friends and our mortality. Deep ish, I know, but this summer I haven't been thinking that much, I've been more focused on enjoying and living my life. I travelled, I worked, I learned a lot about myself, my friends and my family and I've joined new communities. I'm afraid school will crush my hopeful spirit, but I hope that my positivity thus far will trump any obstacles I face in the following years. I wrote this poem to kind of release that anxiety and fear I feel towards what's to come, and to act as a reassurance that I will be fine, and everything will work out. I hope you like it!

*****

The Ocean

The waves crashed on the shore
As the thoughts looped in my head
Failure, fear, regret and more
Thoughts that tuck me into bed
The waves reach my ankles now
As images flood my brain
My feet move faster than I allow
The panic begins to leave a stain
Water approaches my thighs
And the rejection burdens my heart
Sadness fills as I yearn for goodbyes
It's now to my stomach, as the images dart
Could it be as bad as I recall
Could all the tears be truly called for
All these memories still make my stomach fall
As it reaches my shoulders, and I near the core
Screams, pain and joy
It reaches my neck
Too many recollections to destroy
As I take one last breath
My head submerged completely
And my mind goes blank
All I feel is the water 
Surrounding from every side
In a loving embrace, it all fades away
I no longer have to hide
In this big, vast ocean
Full of promise, love and opportunity


No comments: