Monday, September 22, 2014

The Doppelganger

Hello!

So I got accepted into the school web-zine, and I have decided to share the short story I submitted that has granted me access to this beautiful opportunity. I hope you like it, however, keep in mind it is a thriller, so for those of you who are weak of heart, I must warn you

************************************************

Marian was taking her usual afternoon walk when she saw Mr. Clementine running in her direction.

“Why, good morning Mr. Clementine.” She said astounded.

He shook his head and placed a finger on his lips.

“No time to talk, I've finally done it Marian. I've done it!”

“I don’t believe you! Show me at once!”



They ran down the street until they reached his house. As he placed the key in the lock of the front door, Marian trembled with excitement. As they took the flight of stairs down, she shook with anxiety. Mr. Clementine opened the door of the basement, and in front of them stood an odd machine.
He pushed a button and entered a mysterious code. The lights on the machine started to glow green and blue. The door swung open, and Marian’s jaw opened wide, as a gasp of shock escaped her mouth. She looked over to Mr. Clementine. He extended his hand and she grabbed onto it with shaky palms.

They stepped into the machine, and all around them were copies of Mr. Clementine. As the original Mr. Clementine closed the door, one of them looked at her with vicious eyes and a wide smile. She turned away from him and ran to the Mr. Clementine at the door.

“How is this possible? This can’t be real!”

With twinkling eyes, he nodded enthusiastically.

“This is very real my dear. They are clones of mine. No, not clones…” he shook his head trying to recall the exact word. “The word is doppelgangers. All of them have come from realities much different from our own. Each one with a personality different from mine, and different from the others.”

“But...” She was at a loss of words. “Get me out of here Mr. Clementine; I don’t want to be here anymore.”

He opened the door, and she walked back home in a daze. She frantically locked the door, and trudged back to her room.

She landed on the bed with a thud, unable to shake the image of the infinite number of Mr. Clementine’s doppelgangers. All of them had the tall and lanky figure, with the white, messy hair and thin, pointy fingers. One of them really stuck with her. The one with the evil grin, staring right at her, as if he could see inside of her. She shook with fear and pulled the covers over herself. She still shook as she closed her eyes, and she continued to shake as the tall and lanky figure with the vicious figure haunted her dreams. She woke up screaming and sweating profusely.

She went to the kitchen to get a glass of water. When she returned to her room, she felt a breeze hit her in the chest. She fell to the floor, for it was not a breeze. It was a man’s hand. A hand with tall, pointy fingers. She stared into the vicious eyes, and her fear widened his vicious smile.

“W-w-what do you want? How did you get in here?”

“Shush my dear” Mr. Clementine’s voice sounded distant. “I’m just here to have some fun”

The blade swished through the air as blood covered the walls and Marian’s scream filled the streets. In the middle of the night, the screams died, along with Marian herself. As her body lay limp on the floor, the tall lanky figure went to the yard and walked down the street. At every house he stopped and filled it with screams that were not his own, until the houses of the neighborhood were filled with corpses and the streets no longer carried the man with the messy white hair.


For he had other realities to haunt.

******************************************************

YAY! I hope you liked it! I'm definitely going to be sharing more literary pieces over here. I have written so much, but I have drawn so little. It is a shame indeed, but I have written many poems, so it evens that out.

Anyways, perhaps expect something about a certain adventure I had; one of charity and boredom. Until then, I bid you adieu.

-Yara


No comments: